<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, February 08, 2004

One Last Time 

Here's the brief version of what I had to say about all the movies I saw at Sundance.

CSA: Confederate States of America: Definitely worth $8. The good news is that IFC has purchased it so you might be able to see it in a theater near you soon.

Evergreen: Worth at least a matinee (though I will pay $8 to see this quiet film again). I contacted Enid Zentellis and she said that they are currently in talks with some people about distribution and that they are hopeful.

Brother to Brother: Should be required viewing for all. Worth $8. The good news is in! The director tells me that he has five bids for theatrical release so it’s probably a done deal. Look for it soon. Or, if you’re lucky enough to be at the Berlin Film Festival this week, check Brother to Brother out.

Sky Blue: Worth a matinee only if you like animation but I won’t be seeing this film again.

Redemption: Another one I can’t wait to see again. People who feel ambiguous about the death penalty should watch this one on FX on April 11th. Definitely worth your April’s cable bill & TiVo subscription.

Edge of America: Worth a matinee at least. I’ll see this one again. It’s a Showtime film and if it’s only going to be there….I’m out of luck because I don’t have cable.

D.E.B.S.: Worth throwing a queer women’s only party for and paying $8 each to go see it together. Word from the director is that Sony Screen Gems has this film and is planning on a May release date. I can’t wait! Be on the lookout you fabulous queer women out there.

Easy: A little long-ish but worth $8. I’ll see it again but at matinee prices. Haven’t heard anything about whether this one has been picked up or not.

Silent Waters: You’ll have to find a place that shows foreign films for this one but it’s worth the drive and the $8. The distributor tells me that this one isn’t yet going to be distributed in the US. The key word is yet. My fingers are crossed.

The Control Room: Definitely worth $8 and I’d pay more than that to see it again. No word from the director or producer about it’s possible release. My guess is that the media big whigs don’t want you to see this one.

The Land Has Eyes: Skip this one. I wanted my money back (but not those two hours of my life back).

The Corporation: I am still reeling from this one and need to see it again. Glad to hear from their website that it’s currently playing in Canada and “poised for US release”.

Primer: Definitely worth $8 as many times as you need to figure out the plot. I’m going again when it comes out and it will since it won Grand Jury Drama prize at Sundance. I heard from Shane, the writer and director, that it looks like Primer is coming out sometime in November!

Super Size Me: I feel very mixed about this movie. I think this film, with The Corporation and The Control Room, would make a good part of a trilogy. But by itself, it lacks depth. See it, but don’t pay full price.

If these films appear in theaters, I want to see
Eulogy (Susan said, “Funniest movie I’ve seen in a long time”), Napoleon Dynamite, Spring Summer Fall Winter…and Spring, Metallica: Some Kind of Monster, Goodbye Lenin, Garden State, Seducing Dr. Lewis, Heir to an Execution, Investigation into the Invisible World (yes, the link is to a French site…it’s all I could find), and The Woodsman (buzz is that New Market Films has this one so you should see it this year or next).

That’s all folks. This website is going down in a few weeks, hopefully by April 1st. Hate to take up valuable web property and server space! See you at the movies sometime!

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?